Friday, January 27, 2012

A game I would like to play

I have a rather bad habit that prevents me from enjoying most computer games. When the game gets slightly hard or uninteresting I start to wonder if maybe there is something better to do.
Strangely, I really enjoy hard and sometimes pointless activities like draining puddles, programming, and drawing endless numbers of lofi sprites, but when a computer game gets hard in the wrong way, I feel betrayed, as if the creator is unnecessarily hindering my job. The only games that never make me ask this, are games like manufactoria or tribble breeder, in which I get to build a somewhat open ended thing, possibly because I feel as if I make something real in the game, and am not just stuck in a sisyphean fight.

I would like to play a game where the world interacts with itself and I am so weak I can only try to set off each part against the other to get where I want.
I would like to play a game where I can automate the parts I know how to do freeing me from micromanagement and letting me enjoy watching a well automated game.
So for the seven day roguelike competition I would like to make a game that allows you to farm.
Managing the area to get the most of what you want out of the complex ecological relationships is my idea of fun.
Automating this management where possible seems even more fun, and so a game that allows you to gradually build a system to exploit a dungeon ecosystem is a game I would really enjoy.

No comments: